K & K DESIGNS – WALLPAPERING – TIPS
You will need the following tools and it is always best to buy good branded makes :-
- Plumb Line
- Roller Smoother
- Sand Paper
- Scissors for Wallpaper
- Stanley Knife
- Tape Measure
- Wall Filler
- Wallpaper Paste
It is very important to take time and effort to prepare your walls prior to wallpapering.
- Fill and sand any imperfections on your wall with appropriate products.
- Clean the wall diligently with either detergent or sugar soap.
Hanging your Wallpaper
- Measure 50cm out from your starting point for your plumb line.
- Measure the height of your wall and add 20cm so you can cut your first drop of wallpaper.
- Cut and paste your paper then leave to soak for 5 minutes if traditional wallpaper
or if it is paste the wall paper then apply the paste directly to the wall as per the instructions enclosed with your wallpaper.
- Hang your first drop to your plumb line and allow for extra wallpaper for trimming.
- Once applied smooth out your wallpaper and trim.
- Match the pattern by sliding in to place.
- For internal corners apply your wallpaper and smooth in to the corner of your wall.
- For external corners apply and wrap around your corner, then smooth on to your wall.
Tips for Papering Around Plugs & Sockets
- VERY IMPORTANT – Turn off the mains in your home before starting.
- Trace the contour of the socket and an ‘x’ then cut along and trim accordingly.
- Push the socket through this and screw back in to place.
Tips for Papering Around your Fireplace
- Start in the centre and work your way out.
- Use small sharp scissors or a knife to make lots of small cuts.
- If the paste starts to become dry, just apply a little more.
- Remove any excess paste with a damp cloth.
Alternatively you can hire a professional wallpaper and decorator if you would prefer not to do it yourself.
ALL OUR WALLPAPERS ARE SUPPLIED WITH HANGING INSTRUCTIONS.
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact our team for specialist advise.
Head Office t. +44(0)1502 724040