K & K DESIGNS – WALLPAPERING – TIPS
You will need the following tools and it is always best to buy good branded makes :-
- Plumb Line
- Roller Smoother
- Sand Paper
- Scissors for Wallpaper
- Stanley Knife
- Tape Measure
- Wall Filler
- Wallpaper Paste
It is very important to take time and effort to prepare your walls prior to wallpapering.
- Fill and sand any imperfections on your wall with appropriate products.
- Clean the wall diligently with either detergent or sugar soap.
Hanging your Wallpaper
- Measure 50cm out from your starting point for your plumb line.
- Measure the height of your wall and add 20cm so you can cut your first drop of wallpaper.
- Cut and paste your paper then leave to soak for 5 minutes if traditional wallpaper
or if it is paste the wall paper then apply the paste directly to the wall as per the instructions enclosed with your wallpaper.
- Hang your first drop to your plumb line and allow for extra wallpaper for trimming.
- Once applied smooth out your wallpaper and trim.
- Match the pattern by sliding in to place.
- For internal corners apply your wallpaper and smooth in to the corner of your wall.
- For external corners apply and wrap around your corner, then smooth on to your wall.
Tips for Papering Around Plugs & Sockets
- VERY IMPORTANT – Turn off the mains in your home before starting.
- Trace the contour of the socket and an ‘x’ then cut along and trim accordingly.
- Push the socket through this and screw back in to place.
Tips for Papering Around your Fireplace
- Start in the centre and work your way out.
- Use small sharp scissors or a knife to make lots of small cuts.
- If the paste starts to become dry, just apply a little more.
- Remove any excess paste with a damp cloth.
Alternatively you can hire a professional wallpaper and decorator if you would prefer not to do it yourself.
All our wallpapers are supplied with hanging instructions.